Applications for 2023 admission is now closed. Applications for 2024 admission opens in mid-October 2023.
All applications for study at Lund University are submitted to Sweden’s national tertiary application system: University Admissions in Sweden. On this webpage we have gathered information about the application process and the necessary documents needed for a complete application.
The application is done in two steps. First you apply online, and then you submit your supporting documents.
Your online application should be submitted by January 16, 2023. Information about the programme, fees and the eligibility/entry criteria/requirements for LUMES can be found on the Lund university webpage.
The online application is available via the University Admissions in Sweden website. LUMES is called Environmental Studies and Sustainability Science, application code: LU-18410
After the application deadline in mid-January you have an additional two weeks to submit your documentation, but it is strongly recommended that you prepare and submit documents well in advance before the deadline. Supporting documentation (and application fee, if applicable) deadline: February 1, 2023.
There are a number of general documents that are required for all master’s level applications submitted to University Admissions in Sweden.
See the general documents for applying to master's level programmes in Sweden.
In addition to the general documentation stipulated by University Admissions Sweden, you must also submit several LUMES-specific application documents.
Programme specific documents for LUMES:
If you submit these via post you need to attach your cover sheet. You find the cover sheet when you log in to 'My pages' on www.universityadmissions.se, under 'Application'. You do not need to attach a cover sheet to your documents if you upload them to your profile on www.universityadmissions.se. Note that you cannot upload recommendation letters to your profile.
The LUMES Applicant Summary must be filled in completely and signed. If you fill out the form by hand, please write neatly using block letters.
LUMES Applicant Summary 2023 (PDF, 255 KB, open in new window)
The Statement of Purpose Form must be filled in completely and must be signed by you personally.
We want to know your personal, truthful and concise answers to the following questions:
- Which two sustainability challenges intrigue you; do you see them as interrelated (and if so, how); and how would you like to approach them (theoretically, methodologically, empirically and/or based on your own experiences)?
- What in the LUMES curriculum has sparked your interest in particular and why?
- How do you expect to benefit from the LUMES programme and in your future plans after completion of LUMES?
Responses should be between 100 and 180 words and fit within the allotted space given on the form. Please note that an application without answers to all 3 questions will not be considered.
LUMES Statement of Purpose 2023 (PDF, 157 KB, open in new window)
The information provided in your CV is also an important part of the overall assessment of your application to LUMES.
Your CV must include the following:
- Your academic degrees, including GPA, or any other classification of your degree (if available).
- If applicable:
- Relevant extra-curricular activities you have been engaged in during your university studies with a brief description of activities related to the environment and/or sustainability
- Relevant employment experience
- Awards you have received
We do not have or request a specific format for the CV, you are free to be as creative as you like.
Letters of recommendation from two people (your referees) must also be submitted. Referees can be past or present employers, teachers and instructors, and other people who know you in an academic/professional capacity and can judge your overall competencies to participate in the programme.
At least one of the referees should be one of your university teachers and instructors, or someone who is equally able to assess your academic achievements and potential. The referees must be available for contact at a later date.
Your referees should be encouraged to use one of the following forms:
- Academic reference (PDF, 313 KB, open in new window)
- Professional reference (PDF, 357 KB, open in new window)
The forms are self-explanatory and can be filled in directly before being printed.
Referees preferring to write a Letter of Recommendation without using the form, can follow the relevant instructions below:
- Instructions for academic reference (PDF, 46 KB, open in new window)
- Instructions for professional reference (PDF, 46 KB, open in new window)
- Please read through the form and instructions before you forward/send them to your reference person.
- Letters of Recommendation should be mailed or sent by courier to University Admissions in Sweden, see postal address and address for courier services below, or emailed to LUMESreference [at] lucsus [dot] lu [dot] se. The letters should be sent directly from the reference person. The student/applicant should not be copied to the email.
- If for some reason a referee does not agree to mail or courier the letter directly to University Admissions in Sweden, or to email us the letter, the applicant can mail or courier the letter to University Admissions in Sweden provided the referee has put the recommendation letter in a sealed envelope and written his/her signature across the seal. The applicant must then forward the unopened letter/s to University Admissions in Sweden per mail or courier.
- If your reference person prefers to mail or courier the letter you must give him/her your cover sheet so that this can be added to the letter. The cover sheet is not needed if the letter is emailed.
- Recommendation letters uploaded to universityadmissions.se are not considered. Recommendation letters emailed from the applicant are not considered.
- LUMESreference [at] lucsus [dot] lu [dot] se can only be used for recommendation letters. No other documents should be sent to this inbox. The inbox is unattended and other documents will not be forwarded.
How to submit your supporting application documents
There are two ways to submit your documents to University Admissions Sweden.
1. You can upload them on your page on universityadmissions.se,
2. You can send them via regular post or delivery service.
Some documents can always be uploaded, while others– especially academic qualifications from some countries – must be sent via regular mail or courier to University Admissions in Sweden. Unless it is stipulated that you have to submit your documents in paper format, we strongly recommend that you submit all documents (note though that recommendation letters should not be uploaded to your account but emailed, by the reference person, to us) electronically.
Please see University Admissions in Sweden webpage for detailed information on required documents and how to submit these.
- The deadline for all supporting documents (incl. the LUMES specific documents) is February 1, 2023. Documents received after this date will not be considered.
- Recommendation letters should not be uploaded to universityadmissions.se, but either mailed, couriered or emailed directly from the reference person. See instructions above.
Questions about submitting you documents
If you have a question about how to submit your documents to prove that you meet the general entry requirements, you should first thoroughly review the University Admissions in Sweden webpage and then contact University Admissions in Sweden directly if necessary – refer to the Admissions support webpage. Please note that University Admissions Sweden receive a high volume of inquiries, so please allow them some time to respond.
If you have questions about how to submit the LUMES programme specific documnets (Applicant Summary, Statement of Purpose , CV and Recommendation Letters), please see above or contact us if there is anything that is unclear.